The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq has commiserated with the people of Borno State as five humanitarian workers were executed by members of the Boko Haram insurgents.
This was contained in a press release signed by the Minister.
The press release reads in part: “I received with great sadness yesterday, the news of the execution by Boko Haram of five humanitarian workers who had earlier been abducted while carrying out the much-needed humanitarian work in the North East. The slain persons are believed to be aid workers captured during a raid in Monguno Local Government Area of Borno State on June 13, 2020.
“This incident is a great loss to the humanitarian family of which, we, at the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development are a member,” said the Minister.
Ms. Farouq also sent her condolence to Borno state governor, Babangana Zulum, the Borno State Emergency Management Agency, Action Against Hunger, Rich International and the International Rescue who were said to have their staff among the executed workers.
According to her, “this incident once more underlines the huge sacrifices being made by humanitarian workers who work alongside this Ministry to see that the vulnerable populations are given succour.”
The Minister assured the support of the ministry in protecting the lives of all humanitarian workers in the course of their services to the nation.
“In spite of this setback, I would like to assure all humanitarian workers in Nigeria that this Ministry will continue to assist in ensuring that the lives of humanitarian workers are protected in line with International Humanitarian Law, and by interfacing between the Nigerian security agencies and the humanitarian workers rendering lifesaving assistance in Nigeria.
“May the souls of the departed aid workers rest in peace,” she prayed.